You Taste Just Like Glitter Mixed With Rock n' Roll

I first learned of Lady Gaga during my coming out process. It started when I heard "Just Dance" on the radio and watched the music video repeatedly. It became an anthem to let go of my fear as I headed towards an important, imminent, and dangerous junction of my life.

When I did come out, I then moved out. I didn't have much music at the time as "secular" music was highly monitored and restricted when I lived at home, to the point that I lacked cultural knowledge held by the majority of my peers. "the Fame" was one of the first albums I bought. I remember defiantly listening to "Boys Boys Boys" while walking through Seaside with my red-dyed hair, fresh piercing, and long desired sense of freedom. This was a complicated time of my life in which I made mistakes and lived boldly. I lost friends in my pursuit of love and tried to wear my heart on my sleeve, even though I didn't understand how broken my heart already was.

The world is more complicated now. For the first time in a long time I have the ability to stand back and reflect on that time in my life and to stand behind the decisions I made with what I had available. This art piece is not only a tribute to Lady Gaga, but also to a time in my life where Summer seemed endless. My personal name for this art piece is "You Taste Just Like Glitter Mixed with Rock and Roll".





*** This was originally written on Facebook, but I wanted to share the piece here and what i wrote was very fitting. This was also the first piece from my celebrity collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cave Paintings

My Meditation of Pride

"Actually..." and National Coming Out Day