Art Share: Namesake

I would like to share some of what I've been doing the last two weeks.

This week I've been doing research for an art show in October. I've also been helping develop Dallas' online resources. We setup a Blogger for him that we are using as a central hub for his fans, friends and followers. You can check it out here. There will be more work done on his page in the future, but I'm proud of the start we have. I picked up a few things in the process of setting up his page and I will be using some of those features on my blog soon.

Naturally I wanted to share the developments of this week. However, my original intent in this post was to share something from last week. First I need to give some back story... You see, I used to read this online comic called "Namesake". I had a routine of checking the webcomic on my break at work. In the middle of an interesting story development, the artist showed one of the character's butt. As you should know by my last post, I'm not in anyway against nudity. On the other hand, I do believe you have to be respectful of your work environment. I made the decision to stop reading Namesake at work. Shortly afterwards I stopped reading it altogether, as I'm not a huge fan of going online when I'm not at work. I suppose it is a side effect of working on the computer. It may also be attached to the fact that I get very focused on what I'm doing and sometimes cut the room out when I'm in a machine. Dallas will appreciate this confession...

In an ironic twist, this same work place became a tribulation in my life. I mean, how do you handle a business owner defending a male employee who asked a pregnant female employee if she still shaved her pubes. "I don't care if it's pubic hair or facial hair, it's just shaving." *barf* That was one of many incidents. Maybe I'll tell those stories another day.

I left that business and have been picking up my pieces. After going several years without reading Namesake, I invested some time last week in catching up. I don't think I knew how much I missed this comic until I started reading it again.

The story follows young Emma Crewe as she finds herself transported to Oz and is mistaken as a Dorothy. As all of Oz expects her to be a hero, she begins a journey to find out who she really is. Throughout Namesake many beloved stories are featured, such as Alice in Wonderland. I've even been learning about some lore that is new to me.

Namesake delivers all of the emotional experiences. I laugh, I cry, and like any good adventure comic should do, there are plenty of "oh shit" moments. You definitely get attached to the characters, made all the harder to avoid thanks to their witty Valentine's Day cards they come out with every year featuring different character combinations.

In terms of art, Namesake delivers strong lines, detailed patterns and textures, and play with color. Most mundane scenes are made in gray scale, but like Wizard of Oz, magic comes in color. There are plush little Chesire cats and molten faced monsters.

This is where I should probably tell you that I am in no way being paid by the creators of Namesake to tell you this, haha. I honestly just love Namesake and hope to inspire other people to read. The online comic is free, but they do sell merchandise and physical copies of Namesake. There are also additional projects that the creators have, but you'll find out about all of that if check it out. And this is where I should probably give you the link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cave Paintings

My Meditation of Pride

"Actually..." and National Coming Out Day