NSFW: Male Pin-up: Lava Lamp 1-3

For as long as I can remember, I've loved unique lighting. Neon lights, plasma balls, black lights, and on and on. In case if you were wondering what my blog background is, it's the inside of my lava lamp. I think my fascination with unique lighting started when I was a kid in Southern Oregon and I got to watch lightning storms with purple bolts. My oldest brother used to have a plasma ball, but until last year I've never owned a lava lamp despite always wanting one. It was a gift from Dallas after I shared with him that I love them.

What makes lava lamps unique is that their main feature is not the light source, but rather the atmosphere inside the glass that is altered by the light source. The flow of the wax as it is heated and cools inside the oil creates an otherworldly effect. The atmosphere is warm, soft, and dense. (I hadn't considered this until trying to put it into words, but I imagine it to be rather like being in a womb.)

Now owning a lava lamp, I thought it would be interesting to give my male pin-ups the same sensual atmosphere. I thought it would be natural to match the sensuality of my concept with erotic photography from the 70's, so I looked into the photography of Roy Blakey. I want to expand this collection further, but here are the first three pieces I have created. 

Lava Lamp 1

Lava Lamp 2

Lava Lamp 3


I have chosen this time to share these pieces because of the social distancing we are all having to endure. I have felt lonely and lacking the confidence to relate for most of my life. I naturally miss being able to interact with people, but this feeling of isolation is not unknown to me. Even so, when faced with the vast expanse of loneliness, you can still discover something beautiful within.

If you are interested in having a commission then please contact me for details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cave Paintings

My Meditation of Pride

"Actually..." and National Coming Out Day