NSFW: "Paul 1" and "Paul 2"

Salutations! This is why my blog is 18+. The following images are NSFW, unless your work has something to do with a nude body. 

This art is hand drawn by me and based on photography for Freshmen magazine's February 1993 edition. The model is Paul Marsden and the photographer is "Bel Ami" (George Duroy).

I've taken figure drawing classes in college, and I myself have been a nude model. This training helped me to start drawing from eye and develop beyond the illustrative style I had at the time. In the past, I only used graphite and charcoal. I used theses two pieces to experiment with powdered pigment to add color. 



Hand drawn by Jacob T Downes.


"Paul 1" was a stronger play with color. I allowed my graphite work to be darker and used bolder colors, exaggerating the blonde hair and using a more saturated blue in the shadows on his skin. The green background was used to create a dark negative space. I found that the color combination made this piece feel colder, like a foggy day in a coniferous forest. 
Hand drawn by Jacob T Downes.
"Paul 2" was inspired to be in a brighter setting. The model was directly in the sun, and I wanted to create a warm atmosphere where you could imagine sunflowers behind him. I toned down my outlines and blended the graphite more. These two pieces are a prelude to my Lava Lamp series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cave Paintings

My Meditation of Pride

"Actually..." and National Coming Out Day